Even Obama knows that Ghana is worth the time/money/vaccines/tummy aches to visit!
Obama "supports an Africa that is willing to uplift itself." Such a perfect quote! Social work is founded on the idea of empowerment...encouraging our clients and communities to find it within themselves to make their own situation better. How special that we now have a President who bring that value system to the international front.
While we were in Ghana, there was SO much talk about Obama coming to visit. Ghanaians were truly excited and energized by the visit. I think in a lot of ways it really helps to put Ghana on the map so to speak; to be recognized by such a leader for their hard work and resilience.
Below is Obama's reaction to the Slave Castles...
I like the discussion of Malia and Sasha's "obligation to fight oppression and cruelty wherever it appears..." This really hits on the head my feelings after leaving Ghana, how can we just live our daily lives, so privileged and fortunate, when there are so many human injustices occurring in this world. But this doesn't mean I need to go out and save the world, it is the little things I can do in my own community to stop the spread of such cruelty... protest for a living wage, support for the homeless, advocate for the mentally ill, protect children, vote for politicians not after their own success or corruption, be kind to your neighbors and your family. As overwhelming as it it feels to "save the world" or "save everyone" every little bit helps.
I've learned this in so many facets of my life but especially through Judaism...Tikun Olam is a biblical law commanding us to repair the world. Throughout my life I learned about mitzvot (good deeds) and giving to others as an obligation as a human being and especially as a Jew. What an incredibly rewarding obligation it has been and it a lot of ways it has led me to social work. I used to tell my mom I wanted to be a full-time volunteer for my life's work, she would of course nod and smile, and tell me I could be whatever I wanted to be, but I should probably look for something with a salary. How well does social work fit into those plans, huh?!? hahah
...while I have no major plans to completely reapair this incredible world, I do plan to spread goodness and compassion, educate, and make people aware of how they can do their little bit too.
"...Africa's future is up to Africans..."
This is most certainly an incredibly motivating, honest, and straight forward speech...it made me wonder if it would be as warmly expressed coming from, say, our former President George W. Bush. Would he be able to say it without adding in the anecdotal story of his own family in Africa, since he is not from Africa nor is he African American. Any thoughts? Does it matter the source if the water is just as good?
Hope you enjoyed this current event, as I most certainly did. Thank you Obama for putting a new spotlight on Ghana for the world....now everyone, go open a savings account and start saving for YOUR trip to Ghana. I mean really, everyone's doing it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment