The past 6 weeks? See above!
Really, what an amazing past three weeks of new challenges, new people, family, birthdays, new friends, spending too much money and FINALLY receiving a paycheck after a LONG 4.75 months.
The job is overwhelming. I am going to be learning a LOT about systems, homelessness, welfare, managing a team of people that are older than me and how to deal with "higher ups."
Today (*this part of the post is from 9/30/2010, I didn't get around to publishing it*) was particularly interesting because we had 4 case conferences. We are an organization that services homeless (again, I am trying to be vague....) families who have been non-compliant at other shelters. So this is their last stop before they are "sanctioned to the street" for 30 days After those 30 days, the family is allowed to re-enter the homeless services system.
So these case conferences are when the entire social staff and the client meet with the program director to address their repeated behaviors of non-compliance. Needless to say, it gets pretty heated. This was the first time that I really saw the passion and the stories of the clients. What they have been through, and how it really is to be without a home.
My job has really allowed me to develop more opinions, understanding and compassion for all areas of social services that our government is involved in. Our clients aren't just people "off the street," they are referrals from the NY government. I see how homelessness is tied to our economy, our lack of family structure, mental health, physical health, etc. This is such a great opportunity to see so much in such an intimate way.
I have also realized that my heart is in mental health and that I have a lot to learn about applying my skills to this entirely new beast (so to speak). Thankfully, it has come into play a few key times and I magically feel competent at my job! hooray! I can actually share with my staff a little evidence of my masters degree.
Also, I've started my new schedule. It looks like this...
Tuesday-Friday:
6:30am alarm goes off
6:45am actually roll out of bed, throw on gym clothes, haphazardly pack my bag for the next 12 hours (lunch, diet coke, professional dress, make up, hair product, change of shoes, etc).
7:15 walk to the gym
7:40-9:15 finally begin to feel like a human while "working out" the sleep in my eyes at the gym
9:20-10:00am shower, change, take a deep breath before looking in the mirror, swallow the disappointment about how sloppily and unfashionable i dress
11:00am- finally arrive to work after a long commute
11-7pm- resolve assorted conflicts, read and sign off on assessments and case notes, meetings, trainings, reading, question asking, organizing my office (thats right, my OWN office, with a NEW computer, printer, bathroom, closet and fridge!)
7:30pm- FINALLY leave
8:30pm walk into my apartment and collapse.
Saturdays:
Work from 9-5am...AKA yell at all of you, in my head, who have the day off.
Okay enough about work. Thanks for listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment