We had a day off on Sunday...did I treat it like one?? Heck no! We are in Africa!! DUH.
I got up really early (ie: 7:30am) so that I could relax a bit in the morning, played cards (lost miserably of course) with some gals, ordered chips (fries) for lunch and mooched off other's red red and plantains before catching a taxi with Heather, Sheena, and Kerri....off to the Kumasi Stadium!
We went to see the Kumasi team play the Accra team-it was so so awesome! I really miss soccer and everyone loves it so much here- I would love to come back and pick it up again. Anyhoo...getting in the stadium was a little sketchy, but I guess we looked honest enough and we had money, which is a good combo here. It wasn't as packed as we had anticipated and we were definitely the only women in the stands for quite some time. The players were incredible and we had one guy tag along with us and give us some dirt on the players. Their manager was Israeli!!! (don't worry Jen, I got a picture of him...super cute) Our friend was telling us that they have their real ages and their "futbol ages," his brother was #26, one of the substitutes and he is really 25 but he tells them that he is 20, and this guy is really 18 but he plays on a 14 year old team...crazy! We were cheering for Kumasi (since that is where we are, and they are green which is my fav. color), and they finally scored in the last 15 minutes! It was the most awesome celebration-I started videotaping it because the celebrating went on for a good 5 minutes after the goal. I will post in on here ASAP! It was so so fun...
The stadium representing the Black Star!
And of course...the best part...celebrating our GOAL!!!
And of course...the best part...celebrating our GOAL!!!
After the stadium, some girls and I went to the community pool on campus.Both at the stadium and at the pool I was an obvious minority. At the stadium, Heather and I were definitely the only Caucasians. Then at the pool we were the only whites until one random guys came. Honestly, I am so not uncomfortable in these situations and I am grateful for that. I noticed it more at the pool than anywhere else, I guess because more of our skin was exposed than normal, but otherwise it really doesn't phase me. Everyone,so far, has been pretty welcoming and I think they just appreciate the tourism and the economic stimulation
To wrap this up a bit...I am really happy with how I spent the day off...it was certainly a day on-I can NOT wait to share the pictures!
We are off to the Coast tomorrow morning, but we are visiting the King's Palace and a cultural arts center first...Can't wait to be writing you all from the beach!!!
Hope everyone is well and happy!!
Love,
The Might Stay in Africa if I Could Bring all of you Here With Me Traveler....
2 comments:
Oh! Jillian got engaged, Nicole is having a baby, Dad won the lottery and I quit working!! Only kidding...just that life here seems so dull compared to your awesome adventures. Seems like all those years @ Pebblebrook paid off for you to seem so comfortable being so different from the majority.
I am so proud of you baby. Keep taking care of yourself.
so I don't know who I am more concerned about, you wanting to stay in Africa or mom's comment's above!! Miss you punkin!
Post a Comment