5.31.2009

University of Cape Coast...Here I COME!

Just kidding...kinda...the social work students had an opportunity to meet with about six faculty from the counseling department at the University of Cape Coast. See Below:


We met the founder of the program, a woman interested in gender issues, sexual abuse, a reverend who was studying there with an interest in correctional counseling. A man researching HIV patients, career development and then finally, Mr. Godwin Awabil a professor with a masters in counseling with the research interest of suicide! For those of you that know me (which I guess is everyone!) I am pretty passionate about all thing related to mental health; education and advocacy, suicide prevention and the human spirit and mind...so I totally lit up when he began to talk. I also began turning the creaky wheels in my brain about how I can come back to the UCC and help him gather data on suicide stats, create prevention programs, write grants, etc...what an amazing opportunity that would be. I got his e-mail address and I can't wait to start our correpsondance!
L-R: Mr. Eric? researching HIV and career development, Mr. Godwin Awabil researching suicide.

We had such a great time asking millions of questions about the people and culture of Ghana related to social work topics. All of us inquisitors/students have such a wide range of interests and passions so I got to hear an incredible range of insights from these professionals.
Here are some highlights:
It is completely illegal to be gay in Ghana
If someone is struggling with life issues the first go to the elders of their community, then religious leaders, and then even community leaders (in other words, therapy is not as hip as it is often thought to be in the States)
There are little to any statistics on suicide in Ghana, most are reported by the media or the hosptial (specifically when there are attempted suicides)
The Ministry of Health does have some mental health statistics, but nothing on suicide. There are also very very very few prevention programs.
There is NOT legistlation or laws dealing with mental health or people with mental illnesses, nothing to protect them.

Check out this article I found...this is a great snapshot of the language, names, the way suicide is talked about (decided "to end it all," very sensationalized), etc...I know I am a nerd, but perhaps some of you will find it interesting: "Suicide Cases on the Rise"
........................................................................................................................................................................

We extended our stay an extra day on the coast, went to the Fishmonger's Association and met with the woman who founded it. (Fishmonger's are fisherman's women who shell and sell the fish...fascinating women who are 99% left alone to sell the product and raise a family...incredible pictures below:

Where the women tend to the fish in more sanitary conditions thanks to the Fishmongers Assoc.
An example of better prepping standards

The little boy helps dry out the fish, this was a major movement in sanitizing the process...they now dry the fish off the ground!

___________________________________________________________________

I spent the extra days playing card games, chatting, doing alot of thinking about what life will be like when I get back (ie: NO JOB=NO MONEY!). We went on a walking tour of Elmina which was areal treat. Things are so different walking in the town as opposed to driving through it, from high above.The smells, the vibe, the conversations and the stares were all so different when looking at them directly in the face.

On the 29th, while we were waiting for dinner to get ready we heard a loud "POW" like a speaker bursting and then a woman scream-something had majorly caught on fire under out cabana where we eat....the employees came running! It was crazy! Everyone was okay but it was a bit startling...

Missing the Coast Already!

Love,
The SunKissed Traveler

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Wow, between your posts, that article, and you ability to beautifully engage us in your travels, I am taken away, thank you. You continue to amaze me.